Thursday, May 3, 2012

Friends Transatlantically

When I started Betsy Transatlantically, I discovered an amazing community of bloggers - I feel incredibly lucky to have made real friends over the past two years, both online and off, through the interwebs.  At first, I was afraid that my fellow bloggers would be insular and competitive; after all, sometimes I felt like I didn't want to share my small successes because, next to the grand successes that other bloggers earned, I felt puny.  But I quickly came to see that this was my failing, not theirs.  Each blogger I have emailed or connected with on Twitter has been unfailingly gracious and encouraging, even when she is much further along her blogging journey than I am.  A very wise woman once said to me, "We all have to start somewhere," and I think that, often, it's easier to understand that when you're past the beginning phase.  It's what what makes the generous mentoring in the blogging world so inspiring - we're all at different stages, but what unites us is that we all started, at one point, and we're all on our way to where we want to go.

That's part of the reason I'm so excited to go to the DC Blogger Blitz on 3 June hosted by {av}.  In just the first few hours after I registered, I connected with a number of amazing bloggers and I know I'll meet even more when I head to the gathering.  It's just one more thing that'll make DC feel like a good fit for me again.

But no matter where you are, you can take your relationships with inspiring bloggers to the next level by becoming pen pals!  Megan and Joelle have teamed up to give us the Lovely Letters project: you've got until the end of today to sign up to be matched with another fabulous blogger with whom you can exchange notes.  I recently won the cutest stationery through Reverie from Paper+Cup and I can't wait for an excuse to use it.

And, speaking of friends, you may have noticed that I've got some wonderful partners for May - their blog buttons are in the sidebar on the right.  I'll introduce them to you over a cup of coffee on Saturdays throughout the month, so make sure to check back here this weekend!  If you want to partner up by swapping buttons, let me know - the more the merrier, of course.

On that note: later gators!  Remember that tomorrow is Friday, which means that it's practically the weekend.  I hope you have excellent plans lined up!

4 comments:

  1. YAY! We're doing Blogger Blitz DC too. Finding so many lovely new blogs today. Can't wait to meet you there!

    Mendi @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet Betsy. I really can't put into words how much it means to me that you remember the little things that I say :) Blogging really is an amazing experience, and I'm so glad you've come to realize how important you are in this community too!

    xoxo,
    Joelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very encouraging! I started my blog last July but was so afraid to get out there until a couple of months ago... now I cannot believe that I didn't interact with other bloggers before. My experience has only been pleasant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so sweet! Thanks for mentioning the Pen Pal Project! Can't wait to meet you next month!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.